On Sunday, January 10, 2016 05:47:32 PM tux. wrote:
> Hi devl@,
>
> a working group in the German Pirate Party (in cooperation with the
> Austrian Pirate Party) is currently planning to set up a number of
> public FreeBSD servers which should act as Freenet nodes, Tor nodes
> etc.

That's very nice!
I assume you're the "Cthulhux`" I've talked to on #freenet on IRC?

If not: It would be nice if they could also run as seed nodes, as that helps
the network a lot.
If you don't know how to set up a seed node, you may ask me for instructions
:)

> However, we found that the "official" instructions to make Freenet
> work on FreeBSD (use the Linux version, add a number of patches,
> delete some files etc.) is not quite easy. As we'd prefer a stable
> experience for our users, I was wondering if we could help you to
> provide an "official" FreeBSD port of Freenet. A ports Makefile could
> automatize the dependencies and required patches for everyone.

That would definitely be totally awesome!
I would recommend you join us on Freenode IRC at #freenet to discuss this.
People usually answer there more reliably.
Please be patient for some hours after asking though, we're in many different
timezones and most people use bouncers.

And by the way, a user called "suod" just today got quite a few problems on
FreeBSD fixed with assistance of nextgens on the IRC channel.
If that wasn't you, please tell me, and I shall provide you with a log file of
that chat.

> Actually, I was told to contact nextgens@ directly but he instructed
> me to get in touch with you instead. So here I am. :-)
>
> Any volunteers already working on it? What is required? Is there
> anything I can do while being short on free time?

I'd say the requirements are:
- Join IRC
- Put the code on GitHub as early as possible, and ask for review as early as
possible. People don't like reviewing huge walls of code, so you better get
them in touch while it is still small. Our requirement is that someone of the
elders reviews the code before it can become official, so please do nag people
about reviewing the stuff :)
- Consider also adapting the "Download" page of the website to have a FreeBSD
section. People are very reluctant to touch HTML code, and thus stuff often
doesn't get deployed just because nobody was willing to deal with the website.
The code is here:
https://github.com/freenet/website
- Be persistent, i.e. wait long enough for your questions to be answered &
remind people after some days if you don't get a reply. Most folks on the
project are very busy, so stuff gets forgotten easily, without ill intent.

And by the way some semi-off-topic stuff, while we're talking anyway:
The project has run out of money, so it cannot fund me as an employee anymore.
I might have to get a different job if we don't acquire funds reasonably soon.
That would be a pity, as there are many tasks which are too large so
volunteers don't seem to want to address them, and an employee is just the
right tool for that.
As you're involved in the Pirate Partys, you probably know people to ask about
how Freenet could acquire funds.
It would be nice if you could for example post something like "Freenet has run
out of money, requests donations" on your mailing lists / forums.
I would recommend including a link to our website's front page, as there's a
donation progress bar on it already: https://freenetproject.org/
There's also a pre-written news article linked there.

Huge thanks for your help! :)