See also
https://bugs.freenetproject.org/view.php?id=6820

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:        Re: Swap requests in Freenet
Date:   Tue, 9 Feb 2016 09:46:52 +0100
From:   Stefanie Roos <stefanie.r...@tu-dresden.de>
To:     Matthew Toseland <mj...@cam.ac.uk>, Martin Byrenheid
<martin.byrenh...@tu-dresden.de>, Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_...@web.de>

Hi Matthew,

just to (maybe) clarify:
Our measurements raised the question if it makes sense to forward
SwapRequests into the Opennet.
The motivation seems to be that different Darknet "Pockets" can exchange
locations but we never saw
that happen, so it might be that forwarding a SwapRequest into the
Opennet just i) generates unnecessary traffic
as all requests are rejected (should not be significant as the payload
of a swap request is comparably low) and
ii) allows an Opennet node to attack the Darknet by answering a
SwapRequest with fake locations to either perform the PitchBlack Attack
(the commitments provide some protection, you are right, but my guess
would be that the attack remains possible just more costly) or simply
infer information about the structure of the Darknet (which might or
might not be a problem, I was thinking in the direction of graph
(de-)anonymization [1] to identify participants of the Darknet but the
available information might be insufficient for that to be a real issue,
hard to tell).
So, only forwarding swap requests to Darknet peers might slightly
increase the protection under the assumption that joining a Darknet is
somewhat hard for an attacker, especially since forwarding to Opennet
peers does seemingly not produce any noticeable advantage.
Anyways, I think Arne is currently working on the swapping algorithm, so
I just add him as CC.

Thanks for the fast reply,

Stef

[1] Narayanan, Arvind, and Vitaly Shmatikov. "De-anonymizing social
networks." /Security and Privacy, 2009 30th IEEE Symposium on/. IEEE, 2009.