On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 06:45:46 PM Matthew Toseland wrote:
> On 23/02/16 17:53, Martin Byrenheid wrote:
> Hmmm. I thought we relayed opennet announcements through darknet nodes?
> We probably do want to send them through hybrid nodes, so we can't just
> say "never forward an announcement to a darknet peer"? Or can we? As
> discussed previously I don't think the security issue is relevant one
> way or the other, e.g. swapping and FOAF data give away a lot. So
> currently we will send it to a darknet peer, but if it's a pure darknet
> node it will reject it, whereas if it's a hybrid it may accept the
> announcement?

> Anyway, the apparently redundant check is probably there to deal with
> race conditions - whether opennet is enabled changes occasionally. IMHO
> that is legitimate.

I think the current code behavior, where all nodes except pure darknet nodes
accept announce requests, should be fine and doesn't seem to pose a significant
security risk. I don't think that it will bring a huge performance or security
gain to actively avoid forwarding announce requests to pure darknet nodes,
since the hybrid node will just continue with the next neighbor. With my
comment I solely had the intention of removing some possibly dead code. But
since it's just 4 lines and I'm not deeply familiar with Freenet, I agree that
it is probably safer to keep the additional check :-)

> Bandwidth limiting, message priorities, something of that nature. The
> point is it shouldn't actually complete the AnnounceSender and close the
> connection until existing transfers have completed. Which is why
> complete() waits for all transfers to finish. Unfortunately we don't
> call complete() in the case of an RNF! AFAICS the solution is to copy
> the wait loop from complete() into rnf(). Patches welcome. :)

Okay, I will try it out! Thanks!

Martin