On 06/05/16 03:48, x...@freenetproject.org wrote:
> This mail shall contain only my ideas about your proposals.
> I've posted my proposals in a reply of its own.
> It's easy to discuss the both of them in separate threads.
>

> On Friday, May 06, 2016 12:02:08 AM Ian Clarke wrote:
>> * Speed -
>> Make Freenet requests and responses faster
> Working on the core network algorithms is one of the most complex tasks we
> have. Only the "src/freenet/node" directory alone is 74 000 lines of code
> (with only 2000 lines of unit tests for that :|).
> Given that Matthew said he's not available with the current level of funding,
> we would have to spend very significant education costs on anyone else doing
> this.
> Only the education might easily exceed the 6 months of planning you suggested.
> And before any attempts at changing things are released, the whole 12 months
> of funding could expire:
> A new developer would first have to understand the codebase. Then write
> simulations / measurements. And only then he could start modifying the actual
> network. And then he might still have to wait for the half a year release
> cycle of Freenet to allow his first experiments to hit the network.
> And then as there's usually more than one cycle of doing changes and
> measuring
> the results, he'd have to wait for another release afterwards...
>
> But there are very good news about the network performance:
>
> - AFAIK, Matthew is doing Freenet simulations as his bachelor's thesis. He
> talked about the simulations on IRC, they also seem to include load
> management
> stuff. He did send quite a few pull requests from that as well.
> So given that he is *the* core network expert, I would say we should wait for
> the results of his work to be finished before we spend any time on educating
> someone else. Maybe his improvements will be enough already! :)

My thesis will go in on Monday. I don't want to publish it until after
the whole formal process is completed and I have my final grade, some
time in June. The code is already available though.

It is indeed about simulations, and in particular:
- Fast simulations for routing changes (and I mean fast enough to
possibly include in JUnit).
- Load management simulations. Somewhat limited, but sufficient for
basic sanity checking.

I have not implemented any substantial new load management algorithm.
But the new simulations should be sufficient to sanity check one when
and if somebody does. There are several proposals, and some of them are
relatively easy to implement.