I forgot the main advantage of the solution I'm proposing:

AWS will get us a free wildcard certificate for everything we host on
their infrastructure (we're currently paying for it and it will come due
for renewal in April) without us having to fill in any paperwork (it's
been a problem in the past).

Florent