On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 03:01:03PM +0200, Costas Dokolas wrote:
<>
> There is indeed a need to improve speed (try saying that 10 times, fast),
> but let's not break freenet, OK?

Let's not get overly dramatic here. Anything like this is a tradeoff:
duplicated data creates more work for the network, but so does making
ten requests when one would suffice. Clearly having all the data anyone
ever wants under a single key isn't a great idea, but then nor is
inserting each 256 byte values under a key each (imagine all the data in
freenet stored in a single 256 byte datastore!).

Our current observations, which are all we have to go by, show that
traffic is a larger problem in freenet at the moment then a lack of
capacity to store all the data inserted - therefore it makes sense to
bundle small pieces of data just like we split very large ones.

Unlike Matthew's flooding, I would not characterise this as a
pissing-in-your-pants-to-stay-warm feature.

--

Oskar Sandberg
oskar at freenetproject.org