At 00.41 31/10/02 +0000, you wrote:
>> Is the "official" version number (i.e. 0.5.0.3) displayed anywhere in the=
> web interface? In the General=20
>> Information, I see:
>>=20
>> Version Information
>> Node Version 0.5
>> Protocol Version 1.46
>> Build Number 527
>> CVS Revision 1.90.2.2
>>=20
>> It would be nice if there was some consistency in how builds/versions wer=
>e named. My freenet node is telling me=20
>> it's version 0.5, even though it is 0.5.0.3 and the build number doesn't =
>increment every time. Should I be going=20
>> by the CVS Revision to know if I have the latest? If so, then announcemen=
>ts maybe should use those numbers since=20
>> the web gateway does display it correctly.
>The build number is the important thing; maybe it should have been
>incremented for 0.5.0.3. Traditionally the build number has only gone up
>when the node behaviour changes, as opposed to the minor fixes that went
>into 0.5.0.3 (anon filter fixes, and a fix for the luser mp3 wipe bug,
>which won't affect existing successfully installed users).

Mattew, I (and not only me) totally disagree with this "traditionally"
 way to release; this not because I have a personal preference, but because
 this cause a *tremendous* waste of time for node operators and all people
 that try to debug their problem with nodes.

"Traditionally" all software release in the world have a way to
 understand which binary is running (other that calculate the md5
 signature) and to know if it is older or newer respect another one.

I understand that include a timestamp in the compiled jar
 maybe is a difficult or less important task, but if this
 is the case, do something like a constant increment of the build
 number or whatewer thing you want to solve this problem for us.

Is funny that the fproxy info section is filled with info that
 seems to allow to know the difference between version, and in fact
 just induce in error who need to know wich binary is running.

Ciao.   Marco

--
+     il  Progetto Freenet - segui il coniglio bianco        +
*     the Freenet  Project - follow the  white rabbit        *