Tried the most recent webinstaller for a laugh (it never worked particularly
well for me), and when it said "Execute: NodeConfig.exe" I noticed that it
didn't load NodeConfig at all, instead it launched freenet.

At this point the installer hung.

So I right clicked that rabbit and shut down freenet, and the installer
continued, up until the point where it said "Execute: fservew --export
myOwn.ref" when I noticed that it launched freenet again. And hung,
naturally.

So I closed freenet again.

Ironically it then popped up a message saying "Congratulations, you have
finished the installation of Freenet successfully.  Do you want to start
your Freenet node now?".

This won't help new users any...  Not least because the installer hangs, or
that they won't know how to resume the installation.  Mainly because they
miss the entire configuration step when NodeConfig is not run.