On Friday 24 January 2003 22:11, you wrote:
> What is the situation with the streaming servlet?
>
> Ian.

1) This doesn't belong in Fred's JVM. We have enough problems
undertanding/bounding fred's resource consumption as it is.

Has anyone tried to get it running in HttpServletRunner?

I am not against anyone doing experiments with this.  It just shouldn't be
allowed to impact fred.

2) How do you plan to address QOS?  I have asked this question several times
and each time it is ignored.

If you really want to do streaming you need to have a reasonable QOS
gaurantee.   I don't see how you are going to get this from fred.  I am
concerned that we are essentially encouraging people to write DOS clients,
that don't have a chance of working in all but the most contrived test
scenarios.

The right way (tm) to do this is to make a servlet that prefetches audio
files and presents them for later retrieval over http.  That would be cool.
But don't call it streaming.  You could even have play lists which could be
updated via enumerated SSKs or DBRs.  Use FEC, healing, and write a good UI
and you might be pretty close to having the killer freenet app.

Freenet *is not* a replacement for internet radio.  It is much more
interesting than that.

--gj