On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 05:03:22AM +0000, jrandom wrote:
> Ok, lots of chatting on IRC today about updatable keys, spawned by
> "<toad_> we must do something about this silly edition site prejudice"
> Almost two hours later, I think we've got something.
>
> Proposal:
> Add a new key type that supports secure sites that:
> - are like edition sites that can be bookmarked
> - are like DBR sites, but don't dissapear when they aren't inserted
> - doesn't allow people to delete their content
> - allows people to backtrack to old versions without much trouble

> metadata.  The new Time Updatable Key (TUK) contains in its payload
> only the latest site edition number.  The TUK itself is signed by
> the site's owner, and nodes throughout freenet have access to the update
> date through standard datastore/FNP mechanisms.  Whenever a TUK
> collision occurs, the one with the latest timestamp wins, replacing the
> old version.

Important point: this occurs not only on inserts, but also, when we make
a request, we keep going, fetching later versions if they are available,
until we run out of HTL or reach the desired timestamp.

> So, here we are with a new key containing a value that can be updated.
> Typical (proper) usage would have the TUK contain an ever increasing
> edition number (or milliseconds since epoch, for you DBR fans).

Right, TUKs must only contain a 32-bit integer, encrypted, and the
updated time, plaintext (but obviously rounded up by the client),
for optimizing queries.