On Sun, 18 May 2003, Ian Clarke wrote:

> > It sounds like you mean 'crazy' to be negative.  It would be preferable,
> > surely, to be able to put Freenet on as many machines as possible.
>
> Indeed, and our ability to do that is jeprodised if we start introducing
> platform specific code.  We haven't introduced platform specific code in
> over 3 years of development, and I don't want to start now.

What you're saying is true and not true.  It's not true that platform
specific code doesn't exist.  It takes platform specific code to get
Freenet to run.  It's not *completely* platform independent.  It takes a
JVM.  It takes start-freenet.sh.  It takes the bunny app on Windows.

It *is* true, however, that one could give freenet.jar to anybody, and
that person could take it and make it run on his or her particular
setup, with no further help from The Freenet Project.  Any platform
specific code or files are not strictly essential to Freenet's
operation.  The JVM is available elsewhere, they can start and stop the
jar themselves, so on.

[Concerning the "freenet.jar-only" assertion above, it occured to me that
it might be necessary to provide a seednodes file.  You couldn't really
get that except from The Freenet Project or someone already using
Freenet.]

Would your objections, Ian, still stand if whatever was hacked up to do
this fell into the second category of not-strictly-necessary things?

How do other big servers handle this problem?  Or is Freenet the only one
with CPU overloading problems?

-todd