On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:49:29 -0400, Ed Tomlinson wrote:

> On Monday 16 October 2006 08:04, Florent Daigni?re wrote:
>> * Ed Tomlinson <edt at aei.ca> [2006-10-16 08:01:51]:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > At toad's prompting I tried an experiment.  The results were
>> > interesting. I changed by output bandwidth limit to 100k/s.  The
>> > result.  NO change in the output rates.  It still averages about 5k/s
>> > with peaks of about 20.
>> >
>> > Think there is something fishy with our bandwidth limitations.
>> >
>> > Ed
>>
>> Or our load-balancing scheme is too conservative... btw, increasing your
>> bandwidth limit doesn't mean that your peers will be able to cope with
>> the new amount of data nor that they will be willing to send your more.
>
> Problem, as I see it, is that we base output rates on the rates that we
> recieve data from nodes.  Most do not have symetric bandwidth (I have
> 20-30x more input bandwidth).  In other words, even though I limit my
> output bandwidth, I can handle much more input 20-30x more input...
> Freenet does not seem to understand this.
>
> Ed

But the input must come from someone. Every byte that's input to your is
output to someone else. If most nodes indeed have 20-30x more input
bandwidth than output bandwidth, then the speed of transfer is likely to
be limited by the sneders output bandwidth rather than your input
bandwidth.

I suppose you could keep on adding more nodes, but if there's any kind of
tit-for-tat system in place (I haven't really kept up to development :( ),
then each individual node will devote even less of itsoutput bandwidth to
you, since you'll have less and less output bandwidth to devote to it.

Or, to put it simply: a network with asymmetric connections does not work
well for two-way data exchange. There's nothing Freenet can do about this,
it is a problem with network topology.