On 7/20/07, Matthew Toseland <toad at amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Okay, so what should this question say then exactly? Perhaps:
>
> "Connect to strangers?
>
> Your node can either automatically find untrusted nodes to connect to
> ("Strangers"), or you can manually add connections to trusted nodes
> ("Friends") run by people you already know. Connecting to total strangers
> is
> far less secure, but it means your node will start working immediately,
> rather than you having to find some friends to connect to. Even if you do
> enable connecting to untrusted nodes, you should try to get some friend
> connections when your friends start using Freenet.

I think per Guido's suggestion, rather than vaguely saying that connecting
to strangers is "far less secure", we should explain in what way it is
insecure.

Perhaps "If you allow connection to strangers, then you are revealing the
fact that you are running Freenet, although what you are using Freenet for
will still be very difficult for them to determine".

> Button: Connect to strangers

How about a single check box - "[ ] Allow connections to strangers"

Button: Only connect to friends"

> I'm a bit worried about the severely informal language we have to use, but
> it's better than freenet jargon, and the whole friends list thing is
> pretty
> universal post-AIM anyway.

We are writing software, not a legal brief.  Who cares if the language is
informal provided that its comprehensible.

Ian.

--
Founder and CEO, Thoof Inc
Email: ian at thoof.com