> 3.  When IP addresses are detected by
> IPAddressDetector, there is no checking to see
whether
> this interface is actually connected to another
> computer.  In my case,
IPAddressDetector.getAddress()
> returns an IPv6 address that is assigned to one of
my
> Ethernet ports.  I am not sure how this address was
> assigned, since that port is not connected to
anything
> at the moment.  I am using a wireless adapter.  I am
> guessing that other people like me who don't know
how
> to flush old IPv6 addresses will have this problem.
> The consequence of this is that IPDetectorPlugins
will
> not be used because the plugin manager thinks I have
> public IP address and am just firewalled at the
> moment.  The only way I see to fix this is to either
> ignore all IPv6 addresses or find a way to detect
> whether this interface is connected to another
> computer.

Ugh. Well if they are auto-assigned they should show
up as link-local,
 so it
would still run the detection, no?

> Thank you for reading this.
>
> -Thomas Young

I have done a little more research and it seems that
Vista creates virtual adapters that have IPv6
addresses.  These addresses are not link local since
they start with 2001:0/32 for me.  In any case,
IPAddressDetector.getAddress() happily returns this as
a public IPv6 address.  I should also mention that the
logic in
IPDetectorPluginManager.shouldDetectDespiteRealIP()
follows the strict condition to detect only if there
are less than 3 peers and there is a peer more than 30
minutes old.  Should that condition be relaxed
somewhat for 0 peers?

-Thomas Young

with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.