On Thursday 14 August 2008 10:08, Florent Daigni?re wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am planning to get rid of some steps in the wizard; At the moment we
>  have the following:
>
>       private enum WIZARD_STEP {
>               WELCOME,
>               OPENNET,
>               NAME_SELECTION,
>               BANDWIDTH,
>               DATASTORE_SIZE,
>               MEMORY,
>               CONGRATZ;
>       }
>
>  IMHO reducing the number of steps here is as important as in the
>  installer. We could skip the name_selection step if opennet is selected
>  (and disable the user-alert while we don't have any darknet peer). The
>  bandwidth selection step is now optional if the UPnP plugin is able to
>  detect a compatible device on the lan. The datastore-size step could
>  be skipped as well provided the user runs java1.6 and we assume that
>  freenet can use 10% of the free space (or 256M, whatever is bigger) of
>  the partition freenet is installed to. The memory step could probably
>  be skipped as well when toad's branch is merged...

I'm not 100% confident with that last point (memory). Certainly more memory
will give more performance much of the time. With the Bloom filters
optimisation, we will need a few megs (~ 3-7) per 100GB of queued data, but
we can indicate to the user if they have too much queued for their memory
size.

>  That would reduce the number of steps from 7 to 3 on a typical install.
>
>  Any objection?

Sounds sensible to me.