On Friday 07 March 2008 02:03, Florent Daigni?re wrote:
> * Colin Davis <colin at sq7.org> [2008-03-06 20:52:34]:
>
> > If you want to avoid a distinct fingerprint, you could advocate
> > installing http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/
> > Granted, it's not the kindest software on external servers, but it's in
> > common use, and would set the connections much higher.
> >
> >> As far as I remember we have always been asking users to change that
> >> setting... I don't think that you can reliably fingerprint freenet users
> >> with it. Many websites give it as a "tip" to improve browsing
performances;
> >> there would be too many false positives for it to be a reliable metric.
> >>
> >> NextGen$
>
> Well, If the user is using the same browser to browse both freenet and
> the internet, game is already over.
>
> They are numerous techniques to find it out; using the number of
> simultaneous connections the browser allows is less reliable than using
> http://ha.ckers.org/weird/CSS-history-hack.html for instance.

Nice. That's strictly an exploit, but not likely to be fixed (or does it not
work in 3.0?). However, this would ALSO be solved by using an external
profile for browsing freenet, because the cache and browser history are
stored in the profile directory. IMHO this is the way to go... how exactly do
we go about creating a profile directory for feeding to firefox? One minor
thing: it should have a recognisably different theme, so that the user
doesn't confuse it with their default browser. Anyone want to make one?