On Friday 28 March 2008 12:14, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> On Friday 28 March 2008 00:28, Victor Denisov wrote:
> > I'm sorry if I missed something obvious, but why not use some simple JS
> > to handle this issue, polling Fproxy periodically with XHRs (possibly,
> > even showing progress bar, or something?) We're talking about using
> > "normal", untweaked browser here, correct? Well, about 95% of browsers
> > have JS enabled nowadays. And those who can and do turn off JS can
> > definitely tune their connection count as well.
>
> Yes I suppose that's the other option. How exactly would this work?
> - For HTML, we simply send a we-are-still-loading page, with a Refresh
header.
> - For inline images, the javascript would have to tell fproxy to start a
fetch
> for each inline image. If any can be fetched immediately it could substitute
> them on the page. Then every few seconds it could poll all of them. This
> would probably be a significant drain on performance on something like
FAI...

I suppose we could poll once a second and have fproxy return a list of images
that have been successfully fetched. That wouldn't be too bad. Or with new
EMCA features we might even be able to open a TCP connection, but we'd need a
fallback as this may be denied or not supported in the first place.