Well, obviously the context isn't ideal, but its really is a solid
benefit to the fundamental architecture of Freenet, and probably one
we don't really highlight enough.

I sometimes get the sense that there is an anti-Freenet snobbery among
some of the more "academic" onion routing based tools, because they
can prove that their systems provide anonymity, within well defined
(and for the most part, totally unrealistic) constraints.

Freenet's approach tries to be a more pragmatic one, based on the
general principal that a useful but imperfect anonymous system, is
better than none at all, or a system that is perfect according to very
narrowly defined criterial and use-cases that few if any people
actually comport with.

I think this issue is a good example where Freenet is preferable for a
very practical reason that would probably bore the crap out of most
people who study anonymity systems from an academic perspective.

Of course, we all think that child pornography  is disgusting, and we
wish we lived in a world where it didn't exist etc etc etc

But child pornographers, in many ways, are the canary in the coal mine
for anonymity systems;  Many of them are tech savvy, they have tech
savvy adversaries, and obviously they are as highly motivated not to
get caught as almost anyone.   if these people have decided that
Freenet  is the best tool for them, then it's a pretty powerful
endorsement, albeit from an extremely unsavory group of people.

Ian.