Okay, with further investigation ...

The user in question appears to have installed a clean copy of XP and is
reusing the already-installed Firefox. Therefore App Paths in the registry is
empty, and doesn't include firefox.exe. Therefore, we are not detecting
Firefox.

However, this doesn't explain why we open a command line called welcome.html
instead of IE/Firefox (there was a copy of FF running...) pointing to the
welcome.html ... Further testing shows start http://127.0.0.1:8888 launches a
new firefox window pointing to the freenet homepage.

We should check popular locations for Firefox to deal with this eventuality.
Obviously this won't work on some languages, but if it works on some it will
significantly increase our chances of success (in an admittedly pathological
but probably somewhat common scenario).

It is a pain that our fallbacks don't work, and I have no idea how to fix it,
it looks like a windows bug, unless anyone has an alternative explanation. :(