https://bugs.freenetproject.org/view.php?id=2345

---
A typical domestic internet connection has at most 1Mbps uplink. In some
megacities 100Mbps or even 1Gbps is available (symmetric), however it is
unlikely that the bandwidth available in most homes will exceed a few
megabits in the near future.

We could implement darknet sneakernet connections by exchanging USB sticks.
E.g. if you meet somebody every day (e.g. a coworker), you could exchange
(cheap) 8G sticks, plug them in overnight, and then do the same again the
next day. This would produce approx 100K/sec (1Mbps) each way for each person
you did it with.

The performance here imho isn't world-shattering, but nonetheless it's
interesting. And it would build the darknet, some of it completely off-grid,
work in many places where nothing else does safely, and get us some great
headlines.
---

IMHO this is something we should seriously consider, if not this year, then at
least next year during the 0.8 cycle. The main technical prerequisite is
token passing load management, unless we implement a completely different
load management system for it. True passive requests would help in that
they'd make publish/subscribe work much better on this. Even if it's not
perfect, it'd be a very interesting way to get people in, and far from being
a publicity stunt, it would be of immense long-term value.