* Matthew Toseland <toad at amphibian.dyndns.org> [2008-05-17 21:58:02]:

> GCC 4.3 shipped in March, including the new ECJ frontend. It has full support
> for all the new 1.5 language features. IMHO this means that there is no
> longer any reason to stick to java 1.4.
>
> Comments?

Last time I was the one who strongly objected (that was in November)...
but since then things have changed:

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/distro-pkg-dev/2008-February/001172.html

As no one has objected this time let's do it... We will make the switch
gradually:

phase 1: (today)
        - update the website
        - update the installer to require a 1.5 compliant jvm

phase 2: (before next stable)
        - Create a user-alert asking the user to update, bare next
          stable from auto-updating to what will be stable+1 if the jvm
          is not 1.5 compliant

phase 3: (when next stable is out)
        - I'll update emu's build scripts to use a 1.5 jvm
        - We can start to introduce 1.5 code