On Friday 02 January 2009 12:36, Ian Clarke wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Matthew Toseland
> <toad at amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> >> What about the new privacy mode in the Firefox 3.1 betas, or in the
> >> current version of Safari?
> >
> > How would we reliably detect this? Does it change the User-Agent string?
>
> I doubt it.
>
> > I disagree, Freenet should be secure by default.
>
> Easier said than done, Freenet also shouldn't screw with the configs
> of third-party software in ways that we *know* are destructive, yet it
> does.
>
> > If it's insecure it should at
> > least have the decency to tell the user that it is insecure. And the more
> > things that the user has to be warned about, the more mental overhead
Freenet
> > takes up, IMHO pointlessly in most cases: this is the opposite of
> > user-friendly!
>
> Do you think screwing with user's firefox profiles causing them, at
> least in some cases, to lose data is user friendly?!  Given the
> choice, I would far prefer that Freenet made it my responsibility to
> ensure the security of third party software rather than destructively
> screwing with that third party software as we do with Firefox.
>
> > What do you think of the solutions I proposed most recently? That is, to
> > add ?security=<long key dependant string> to freenet URIs (in the content
> > filter and the fetch a key form), and to solve the connections problem as
> > we've discussed, with a page loading screen and some rather more
heavyweight
> > javascript solution for loading image-heavy pages? (Admittedly some pages
> > will have the inlines in the same container...)
>
> We should start with the simplest of these and work our way up, but we
> should ditch the Firefox fubarring stuff *NOW* no-matter what else we
> do.

Okay so the current gameplan is to implement history cloaking and turn off the
firefox profile in new installs today, then implement a basic progress
screen, and ask around for any javascript experts to help with a better one
and/or better support for inline images.

Every page, including static content and the homepage, will require
a ?secureid=<long string>. The string is derived from a node-specific nonce
created at install time, and the url being fetched. Links are automatically
translated when sent to the user. The node will create a shortcut, including
an sid, so the only case when a url is entered without an sid is if the user
guesses it (e.g. typing in 127.0.0.1:8888). If the user does this then we
warn the user to clear their history, and either not guess url's, always use
privacy mode (in some browsers), or use a separate browser for Freenet, with
an option to turn off the warning if the user is sure, and of course with a
button to go to the corrected url.

Ian and nextgens have been very helpful in discussing this off-list.