On Tuesday 06 January 2009 15:02, Florent Daigniere wrote:
> > for
> >> Fewer peers for slow nodes would help in terms of latency; I'm not sure
> >> about more for fast nodes.
> >
> > Fewer peers for slow nodes would improve the average bandwidth per peer,
and
> > therefore enable faster nodes to handle more requests. More peers for fast
> > nodes would enable faster nodes to handle more requests directly, since
right
> > now they are bottlenecked by the average. The average bandwidth per peer
> > would rise and everyone benefits. The only problem is over-dependance on
fast
> > nodes, which is why we would impose an upper bound on the maximum number
of
> > opennet peers. Probe requests consistently show the network is around 1000
> > live nodes at any time, so IMHO the upper limit should be no more than 50.
> >>>
> >> IMHO it's a lot more trickier to do than to bump one constant! Anyway,
> >> that's not the point: the point is you're about to merge a new
> >> client-layer AND considering to change yetAnotherParameter which might
> >> have network wide effects in the meantime. All of that in a short
> >> timeframe and right before a release (unless I missed something the
> >> release is still planned for "soon")!
> >
> > What does the new client layer have to do with anything? Oh, you think it
will
> > have negative network effects because people will not keep their nodes
> > running for so long ... whereas I think it will have positive network
effects
> > because people's nodes will not be overloaded for hours after startup ...
> >> It's bad practice.
> >>

> If you change everything at the same time we won't ever know which
> theory is the right one ;)

This may be a fair point, but given that it will likely take some time for any
effect to manifest itself clearly, what can we do?

> >> Suppose things get screwed up (or drastically improve): how will you say
> >> which of your changes have caused it? It's not like the theoreticians
> >> knew for sure what the effects are going to be: they said "it shouldn't
> >> break things" ... not that it won't or can't.
> >
> > Right now I'm working on the history cloaking code, necessary because we
got
> > rid of firefox.
>
> I'm not convinced it's necessary... but well :|
>
> > Hopefully after that I can do some work on the client layer.
> > If this (scaling peers with bandwidth) was agreed, it could be implemented
> > immediately; it's likely it'll be at least another month before the new
> > client layer goes in.
>
> Huh; I thought the merge was imminent.

It is. :| Apart from distractions such as history cloaking, there are several
components not finished yet, and large inserts still OOM.
- Finish and test dead data structure removal.
- Implement dead buckets removal.
- Major debugging on (or elimination of) the blob buckets code.
- Prefer requests on recently successful high-level requests.
- Possibly segmentise inserts. Certainly debug OOMs which are still happening
on large inserts.

:|