On Wednesday 17 June 2009 13:46:28 Matthew Toseland wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 June 2009 09:54:18 Zero3 wrote:
> > Matthew Toseland skrev:

> > > Alternatives? Clearly anonymity is a direct consequence of the overriding
> > > goal of thwarting censorship.
> >
> > Ala "The anonymity of Freenet makes true freedom of speech possible"
>
> Freenet is free software which lets you anonymously share files, browse and
> publish "freesites" (web sites accessible only through Freenet) and chat on
> forums, without fear of censorship. Freenet is decentralised to make it less
> vulnerable to attack.
>
> Or even:
>
> Freenet is free software which lets you anonymously share files, browse and
> publish "freesites" (web sites accessible only through Freenet) and chat on
> forums, without fear of censorship. Freenet is decentralised to make it less
> vulnerable to attack, and if used in "darknet" mode, where users only connect
> to their friends, is very difficult to detect.
>
> ???

> > > It does now IMHO. Have you read the current version?
> >
> > Yeah, it does mention what you can do with Freenet in general. Dunno.

> > > Is it a problem? If he clicks the link to Add a Friend it will explain it
> > > to him?
> >
> > Given that he has a node running (it links to localhost fproxy). It is
> > not a problem, just a minor usability quirk IMHO.
>
> Not sure what can be done here. I mean if you actually open the page it's
> obvious what a noderef is.

> > > He knows what he needs to do - use a separate browser. Don't we make that
> > > clear? It may be annoying but it is clear, no?
> >
> > It is indeed very clear, but as you say, also damn annoying. If
> > possible, I think we should avoid annoying the user.
>
> Well, any suggestions you may have... afaics the best option on windows is to
> run Chrome in incognito mode, and tell the wizard not to show the warning.
> But in that case we need to warn the user if they ever use another browser -
> and we can't tell the difference between Chrome in incognito mode and Chrome
> not in incognito mode, so I think we should display the warning anyway, we
> just need to rewrite it a bit for the case where we are using Chrome in
> incognito mode:
>
> "You must always use a browser with incognito mode for Freenet!
>
> You are currently using Freenet through Chrome in incognito mode. This should
> be safe. You should always access Freenet using Chrome in incognito mode, or
> through a browser you do not using for normal web browsing. The Browse
> Freenet link on the start menu should use Chrome in incognito mode, and so
> should be safe. Most browsers will work well with Freenet, except for
> Internet Explorer.
>
> Click here to continue."
>
> ???
>
> IMHO this is much less annoying, while still getting the message across.
> Obviously it needs to be tweaked a bit when we have a systray icon.

Okay, so what would this say if we are *not* in incognito mode (that we know
of) ?

"You must always use a browser with incognito mode for Freenet!

You should always access Freenet using Chrome in incognito mode, or through a
browser you do not using for normal web browsing. The Browse Freenet link on
the start menu should use Chrome in incognito mode, and so should be safe. Most
browsers will work well with Freenet, except for Internet Explorer.

Click here to continue."

Or maybe we should avoid shameless advertising for one product ...

Currently, it says:

"You must use a separate browser (or a browser with privacy/incognito mode) for
Freenet!

We strongly recommend that you do not use the same web browser to both browse
the ordinary web and access Freenet, unless it is in incognito/privacy mode.
Browser history stealing attacks in particular may enable malicious websites to
determine which Freenet-based websites ("freesites") you have recently visited,
breaking your anonymity. Please use a separate browser to access the Freenet
web interface. For example, on Windows, the Browse Freenet link will
automatically open Google Chrome in incognito mode if it is installed.

Most web browsers, apart from Microsoft Internet Explorer, will work adequately
with Freenet, for example Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome, and Lynx are known to
work. You should install one of these, then copy the current URL from the
location bar, and open it in your new browser.

Click here to continue."

IMHO this is adequate. Please let me know when you have adapted the windows
browse script to pass in a parameter by launching
http://127.0.0.1:8888/?incognito=true instead of http://127.0.0.1:8888/ and I
will make it show a different message. And/or comment on the relevant bug and
assign it to me.