On Tuesday 26 May 2009 23:19:53 Evan Daniel wrote:
> 2009/5/26 xor <xor at gmx.li>:
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> I have read your messages again and all your new messages and you are so
> >> convinced about advogato that I'd like to ask you more questions about
> >> how it would work, I don't want you to feel like everyone is ignoring
> >> you :) (- I am more of a programmer right now than a designer of
> >> algorithms, I concentrate on spending most available time on
> >> *implementing* WoT/FT because nobody else is doing it and it needs to
> >> get done... so I have not talked much in this discussion)
> >>
> >> Consider the following case, using advogato and not the current FMS/WoT
> >> alchemy:
> >>
> >> 1. Identity X is an occasional and trustworthy poster. X has received
> >> many positive trust values from hundreds of identities because it has
> >> posted hundreds of messages over the months, so it has a high score and
> >> capacity to give trust values, and all newbies will know about the
> >> identity and it's high score because it is well-integrated into the
> >> trust graph.
> >>
> >> 2. Now a spammer gets a single identity Y onto the trust list of X by
> >> solving a captcha, his score is very low because he has only solved a
> >> captcha but the score is there. Therefore, any newbie will see Y because
> >> X is well-integrated into the WoT
> >>
> >> 3. X is gone for quite some time due to inactivity, during that time Y
> >> creates 500 spam identities on his trust list and starts to spam all
> >> boards. X will not remove Y from his trust list because he is *away* for
> >> weeks.
> >
> > Also consider the case that instead of 500 new identities he just posts
> > 5000000 messages with his single identity Y. How do we get rid of Y?
>
> First, you rate limit messages.  I'm having trouble coming up with a
> case where I ever want my node downloading that many messages from one
> identity.

And how to find a practical rate limit?
Consider SVN/GIT/etc. log-bots: They post a single message for each commit to
the repository.

> Second, after I read a few, I'll mark some as spam and the rest will
> go away.  From a practical standpoint, I don't really care about the
> difference between 5 messages, 500, or 500000 -- I'll read one, or a
> few, and then mark Y as a spammer.  I'll never see the rest.

Can a messaging system survive which will appear as "full of spam" to every
newbie?

Isn't it the core goal of the WoT to prevent *newbies* from seeing spam, to
let the community design a set of ratings which prevents EVERYONE from having
to manually mark spam/non spam, letting only a subset of the community doing
the work and others can benefit from it?

I think thats what any algorithm needs to be able to do: Provide a nice first
usage experience.

First usage = empty trust list. So this also applies to people who are to lazy
to mark everything as spam which is spam. Which probably applies to > 50% of
the users. So advogato would annoy >50% if I have not misunderstood it?