On Friday 06 November 2009 18:54:50 xor wrote:
> On Friday 06 November 2009 19:45:08 Matthew Toseland wrote:
> > We can improve this by changing the metadata to include the exact number of
> > blocks in the final file at the top of the file. We would still have
> > multiple stages for some files from freesites, but for most we would
> > quickly reach the final stage, with an exact percentage, even if we are
> > actually fetching the first of thee layers of metadata. :)
>
> Even though this means that reinserts of old files will result in different
> CHK
> URIs, I am strongly for adding a "total filesize" field to the metadata. I
> mean
> why the hell didn't we add it right from the beginning anyway? =)
> All other popular peer to peer apps can tell you how big a file is after
> you've
> added it, why shouldn't Freenet be able to do that?

We have it, but I'm not sure how reliably we add it. Also IIRC it is the
decompressed length. We would want the compressed length, or ideally the total
number of blocks including the intermediate layers.

> That will make everything very easy: Until the top block is loaded the
> percentage is "Unknown" and then we can display an exact percentage. Problem
> solved.

No, as I mentioned, stuff from freesites will involve fetching one splitfile
and then fetching another. But yes, we should make these metadata changes.