On Tuesday 10 November 2009 17:18:01 Zero3 wrote:
> Matthew Toseland wrote:
> > https://bugs.freenetproject.org/view.php?id=3697
> > Zero3, any chance of writing the total system memory to a file in the
> > wininstaller in the near future?
>
> No problem.
>
> 1) I assume we are talking about physical memory here?

Yes.

> 2) Do we look at total memory available or memory currently free?

Probably total memory, you could write both though.

> 3) Exactly what should it write, and where?

Create a file, write the total available memory, in bytes, or with the SI
multipliers we use for units (e.g. 1024M).

But you should probably also rewrite the wrapper.conf's wrapper.java.maxmemory=
for a sane default based on the available memory. I have given an algorithm or
list on the relevant bug: Don't automatically set it below 128M, but scale it
up to 512 if we have a lot of RAM...

> 4) Shall I implement this in the installer (only set once) or the
> launcher? (set every time user launches Freenet via our shortcuts)

Good question, it's essential in the installer, it's useful in the launcher.

> 5) Would it be a good idea to deny installation if the user doesn't meet
> the minimum requirements?

Another good question. If trying to install on 128MB on XP, maybe we should
fail it? OTOH it could conceivably work if they use a really lightweight
browser? IMHO we can set the wrapper memory limit down to 96MB if we need to,
but we will need to warn the user in this case - hence the node needs to see
the limit for purposes of the first-time wizard as well as the wrapper.conf.