On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 3:23 AM, VolodyA! V Anarhist
<Volodya at whengendarmesleeps.org> wrote:
> Evan Daniel ?????:
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 12:06 PM, VolodyA! V Anarhist
>> <Volodya at whengendarmesleeps.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Matthew Toseland ?????:

>>> True, thus WoT should never be used for anything which allows you to say
>>> anything about yourself that can be associated with WoT identity.

>>> No, i was not ranting against darknet or only against chat/etc WoT apps.
>>>
>>> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? - Volodya
>>
>> How is this different from ranting about people engaging in the
>> horribly insecure practice of replying to messages they find
>> interesting? ?You can build the same basic graph structure, and
>> analyze it in the same manner, merely from the messages. ?The WoT only
>> makes it slightly more convenient, at worst.
>>
>> Evan Daniel
>
> Let me try to understand what you are saying. Basically you mean that a
> reply to the message can be used in the same way to 'link' identities as
> 'friends' as any social network would. So the premise would change from 'gay
> people tend to have more gay friends' to 'gay people reply to more messages
> of other gay people'.
>
> I must say that on the common-sense level i do agree with you in respect to
> the fact that one can make such an observation, but i'd expect the
> difference to be more than 'slight'. Especially for the people who make
> their trust lists public (those who filter according to how much they agree
> with the poster) responding to more of somebody's messages does not imply
> that they will up that person's trust level.

Yeah, that's the basic idea.  Except that (for starters) you replace
"trust setting" with "number of messages replied to" or something.  (I
note that "friend" on FB is binary, so you just need an appropriate
cutoff.)

Whether there's a meaningful difference between "friend"/"trusted" and
"replies to" is an interesting question.  I suspect that there is a
difference, but that the general approach is robust against it.  But
obviously that's only a suspicion; we can't draw a conclusion without
evidence.

IMHO this is merely an instance of the more general rule that Freenet
and such can't protect you from revealing info about yourself.  I
suspect that if you only base your trustlist on the behavior of people
on Freenet, rather than things like people you know offline and know
what nick they're using, the risk is minimal.

Remember also that the goal shouldn't be to prevent any information
leakage; that's impossible.  Rather, the goal should be to keep it no
worse than (and ideally significantly better than) the leakage from
things like word choice and who you reply to.

Evan Daniel