Am Dienstag, 22. September 2009 21:32:36 schrieb Robert Hailey:
> > -> http://freenetcard.draketo.de/

> I really like the *idea*, but I wish it were easier to implement. It
> would be a pain to enter that huge noderef by hand.
> freenet://192.168.0.128:4567/14/xYaEue344
> Couldn't we then fetch the noderef from the given ip with very-good
> certainty and forgo the long references?

Couldn't every freenet node create a freesite with only the noderef?

Then we'd just have to hand out the public key to that freesite, if we want to
connect to people who already use opennet.

A missing piece would still be a shorthand, though: A way to shorten the huge
freenet URL to something we can actually type - like your URL, but as a
freenet link.

And even if it's a freenet link, we might be able to reduce its complexity by
devising an alternate representation - for example splitting the link into 6
pieces.

Currently an URL looks like this:
- http://127.0.0.1:8888/USK at wptdE7H1DsHd1SHsL-J5LoyYha8Nx3oje5yhusNT7rA,-
iyrzP61KoWdQDK2omI7GgV~65mwGfWtDnbi1uzp0xc,AQACAAE/freenet-cards/11/

We could make it a nicer node identity like this:

wptdE7H1DsHd1SH
sL-J5LoyYha8Nx3
oje5yhusNT7rA,

-iyrzP61KoWdQDK
2omI7GgV~65mwGf
WtDnbi1uzp0xc,

AQACAAE

This is still kinda long, but doesn't look as horrible.

But we would have a huge list of sites which have to be kept online.

Or we could go the route of i2p and create a pseudo-DNS, where nodes can
register their node-ref. Something like freemail, maybe (though I don't know
how secure that is internally).

Using IP+port doesn't look viable for me, though, because in Germany almost
noone has a stable IP. The only way I see for that would be dyndns.

Best wishes,
Arne

   - singing a part of the history of free software -
              http://infinite-hands.draketo.de