On Tuesday 14 December 2010 08:01:48 Colten Jackson wrote:
> Has anyone seen/read this?
>
> http://groups.csail.mit.edu/tds/papers/Gilbert/rambo-journal3.pdf
>
> "In this paper, we present RAMBO, an algorithm for emulating a read/write
> distributed shared memory in a dynamic, rapidly changing environment. RAMBO
> provides a highly reliable, highly available service, even as participants
> join, leave, and fail. In fact, the entire set of participants may change
> during an execution, as the initial devices depart and are replaced
> by a new set of devices. Even so, RAMBO ensures that data stored in the
> distributed shared memory remains available and consistent."
>
> Hopefully some of the ideas in the paper can be helpful to freenet's goals.

And by reading them we expose ourselves to triple damages when we implement
something similar and they sue us for patent infringement (versus implementing
the same thing having thought of it ourselves). Great idea. What is our
attitude to published literature and patents? IMHO anything MIT publishes that
is useful there is a good chance it's patented...