On Thursday 11 February 2010 19:41:07 Christian Funder Sommerlund (Zero3) wrote:
> Hey all
>
> I'm looking for feedback regarding browser picking policy on Windows.
>
> At the moment, we do:
>
> Maintain a list of registry paths and common program locations of
> various browsers. These are prioritized according to whether they
> support incognito mode and how their security is rated in general.
>
> The first found browser in this list is launched. If no known browser is
> found, we fall back to whatever system default the user has.
>
> My suggestion:
>
> Instead we rely solely on the system default. Windows XP, Vista and 7
> all have systemwide protocol defaults that can be changed via the
> control panel. Most browsers ask the user if they want to change their
> browser default until they either accept or dismisses the suggestion.
>
> On this basis, I believe we should accept the user's choice of browser
> by running Freenet in whatever browser the user has as default. Mind you
> that Chrome, FireFox and IE all have incognito modes now. Worst-case
> scenario is that the user has some sucky version of IE as default, but
> we *still* warn about IE in fproxy.
>
> My view is that it is more important to integrate properly with the
> user's desktop, accept his choice of browser, and ease ourselves of most
> of the browser-list maintenance, rather than insisting on choosing a
> browser for the user.

If there is a working incognito mode we should use it. This greatly simplifies
matters. Unfortunately Chrome's incognito mode does not work reliably, and we
don't yet support Firefox's incognito mode. If the user's default browser is a
version of firefox with a reliable incognito mode, and if we support it, then
we should use it in incognito mode. Ditto with Chrome. Otherwise we should use
a browser with working incognito mode, even if it is not the default.