On 22/02/11 22:24, Michiel de Jong wrote:
> OK, so that's a starting point then! :) I informally proposed the inclusion
> of freenet into freedombox during this Sunday's FreedomBox Hackfest, but I
> didn't know my stuff well enough to defend why freenet should be included if
> Tor is already going on there pretty much for sure it seems. IMHO, it could

Tor and Freenet offer very different things. No offense, but if the people who
are organising/producing this do not know why, they are hugely incompetent and
nobody should use their product. This is basic research (e.g. see wikipedia)
and should not require evangelism for them to know about.

In brief:

Tor offers:
- anonymous low-latency communication, as long as the exit node is trustworthy

Freenet offers:
- free short-term encrypted private storage, long-term if the data is popular
- anonymous high-latency communication, as long as your peers are trustworthy

Tor has been better-studied in academic circles and therefore its anonymity
properties are therefore probably more reliable than Freenet.

I may well be missing things.