On Monday 13 Jun 2011 08:37:16 vive wrote:
> May be interesting to know more about:
>
>         http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/world/12internet.html
>
> "The State Department, for example, is financing the creation of stealth
> wireless
> networks that would enable activists to communicate outside the reach of
> governments
> in countries like Iran, Syria and Libya, according to participants in the
> projects. "

Fascinating stuff. Many places robustness is more important than anonymity,
even at the expense of some of the infrastructure being visible to a determined
attacker...

I wish them luck. Long term I hope Freenet will have options for
pseudo-sneakernet darknet connections, but that's really speculative at this
point (e.g. no idea how to assign locations, need long-term/trickle-back
requests and passive requests). Cell-to-cell opennet a la Haggle is probably
enough for a lot of places, and even bluetooth is enough for sharing protest
photos - until they jam it, although I wonder how hard it is to jam 2.4G given
it already has to adapt to interference from microwaves etc...

> Cheers,
> V.

Happy you're still around. I'm gonna have to write a simulation of new load
management soon, I guess I can't ask you to do it cos it'll take too long to
explain new load management? We should talk about it anyway...