Freenet 0.7.5 build 1373 is now available. Please upgrade, it will be mandatory
in a week. Many major changes, some of which are potentially disruptive:
- A new freenet-ext.jar. This has been several years in the making and is
largely infinity0's work. Mostly this is tidying stuff up, moving third party
code from fred into freenet-ext.jar, fixing build scripts, updating third party
code, and so on. The next stage will be rather more significantly, involving
splitting out most of freenet-ext.jar into separate jars for the various pieces
of third party code we use, which will require significant changes to the
updating code, but will allow us to update the wrapper and will make packaging
easier; we need to get this part out first.
- Major fixes for the auto-updating code, most of it related to updating
freenet-ext.jar. On linux/mac systems, we now treat freenet-ext.jar updates
exactly the same as freenet.jar updates - we write to a new file and then move
over the original; this avoids various problems. On Windows, and occasionally
on linux/mac, we need to update the wrapper.conf sometimes, and this code is
now far more robust, and puts freenet-ext.jar first on the classpath, which
avoids more problems (related to us loading the old freenet-ext.jar even when
the classpath says to use the new one). Also pull the IpToCountry.dat file
which will in future be used to identify peers' countries from their IP
addresses, and minor fixes to the code that downloads that and the installers.
- Change the default scheduler policy from HARD to SOFT. Most stuff is bulk, so
it will not slow down fproxy requests, which run on realtime.
- Further changes to load limiting related to limiting the number of
simultaneous transfers. The code was supposed to be enabled in 1372 but it
wasn't. It will show up as "TooManyTransfers" in the reasons box, which now
shows bulk or realtime. It prevents us accepting so many requests that we end
up having block timeouts - the number of requests we can handle while still
being able to send blocks fast enough for each, as opposed to the total amount
of data to transfer (which is used in the current bandwidth liability code), is
the limiting factor. This should not be a really big rejection reason in
practice.
- Implement a visibility level setting for each of our friends. This is not
used yet but will be in future to identify which of our friends we can tell our
other friends about. It can be either YES (tell our peers and let them connect
to improve performance, with the possibility of upgrading to a full friend),
NAME ONLY (let them know the friend's name and offer a connection if they know
each other) or NO (don't tell our other friends about this friend). You will
need to set this when adding a friend, and all your existing friends initially
have a visibility of NO; you should reconsider this.
- New Freetalk and WebOfTrust plugins.
- Minor request level fixes.
- Various minor fixes related to routing or to the peer load status message,
which are required for new load management. New load management has been merged
in master, but is configurable. It probably won't be fully released and default
for a while but is making progress.

Thanks!
Credits:
xor