On Monday 19 Mar 2012 23:12:15 Steve Dougherty wrote:
> I'm all for it. The coding standard is rather clear on indenting with
> tabs, so I guess all that would be required is a run with a
> re-indenting/code style conformance tool. That's something for a
> janitor tree, and would ideally be timed between releases and when all
> known pull requests have been merged or rejected to minimize
> whitespace-related disruption to existing work.

Gigantic third party patches should come with some means to verify them.

For example, converting all the spaces to tabs in a single commit is fine
because then you can just do diff -uw.

However, automated bulk indenting doesn't always makes things easier to read -
e.g. devs may not like the style it produces.