On Tue, 2012-03-20 at 22:44 +0000, Matthew Toseland wrote:

> I am speaking from experience. write() is supposed to either succeed or
> throw. PrintWriter busy-loops on disk full when stderr is redirected to a
> file. Feel free to test it, it may be that it doesn't happen with modern
> JVMs. But it's unacceptable.

I have just checked PrintWriter?s source code (OpenJDK 6). There?s no
sign of it busy-looping anywhere. I have also checked PrintStream: no
busy-looping.

And just for the hell of it I downloaded JDK 1.1.8? and I wasn?t able to
find any busy-looping in there, either. So whatever it was that bit you
back then it must have been something different and you just
mis-diagnosed it. :/

Greetings,

        David
--