On 30-03-2012 13:28, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> On Sunday 25 Mar 2012 23:22:24 Marco Schulze wrote:
>> Working (but incomplete) code is available @
>> https://github.com/Heiral/fred-staging/tree/logger++
> I'm keeping out of this for now, it should go in if it:
> - Simplifies the code.
Testing is centralized inside Log.isLoggable() and Log.write(). No
callbacks or registering is needed, and mistakes in current code is
mitigated (i.e. testing for one log level, and actually logging in
another). IMHO, cutting ~5000 lines from the code, and ~200k from the
jar speaks for itself.

> - Does not significantly reduce performance.
Until fred actually uses lazy toString() in log calls, that'll be
unknown. Lazyness already works, though.

> - Does not significantly reduce debuggability (i.e. we need to be able to use
> wildcards).
In to do list.

> - Reacts quickly enough (~1 second) to config changes.
All but adding per-class filtering should be quick enough.

> - Does not create a locking hotspot.
Only the OutputStream is locked. Mitigated by possible async option.