-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Questions on Freenet - Second Try
Local Time: April 25, 2017 8:14 AM
UTC Time: April 25, 2017 12:14 PM
From: philipp.spei...@uni-ulm.de
To: Support <supp...@freenetproject.org>
Devl@freenetproject.org

Hello

Unfortunately, my previously transmitted questions have not been
answered so far. Maybe the large amount of questions was daunting. I
have reduced it to a few questions which can be answered, hopefully,
in a straightforward fashion.

Hi Phillip,

Sorry about that - my recollection was that someone had replied to your initial
mail, but I can't find any evidence that actually happened. I think we were
also having some configuration difficulties around the mailing list after
transitioning from a VPS to AWS.

I don't have time right this second to reply to your questions, but if someone
else doesn't in the next few days I expect to have enough time next week.

- Steve

Path Folding and Connection Managment:

- Is it required that the data source actually starts to send a "path
folding" offer back along the path or might any node on the path
simply decide to send its node reference back along the path, hoping
to get new connections?

- Does the data source always send the "path folding" offer back or is
it possible to omit this. If the latter is the case, does this imply
that there is no chance for creating new connections on this
particular path?

- If one node answers the "path folding" offer and a new connection is
created, is this "path folding" offer then passed back further along
the path or does it stop at that node?

- When connecting to a new node, how is the Friend-of-a-Friend
information (i.e. the locations of the node's neighbors) exchanged?

- Churn leads to frequent changes in the neighborhood of a node. How
is the Friend-of-a-Friend information maintained to keep the
maintenance overhead small?

Freenet's Load Balancing:

- Relaying a request requires to keep track of it, i.e. the node needs
to store information to be able to return the corresponding response
at a later time. Due to resource limitations, a node cannot accept
arbitrary requests and maintain state for them.

-> So, requests can actually decide to reject a request depending on
their current load. The corresponding connection is marked as "backed
off", i.e. an exponential growing backoff time is determined to pause
the connection. No requests are sent to the node during the backoff
time to prevent putting further load on it.
-> However, Matthew Toseland writes in his work
http://www.toselandcs.co.uk/flogmirror/mjt92-diss-final.pdf that also
a message is sent back to the request initiator in this case.
=> I would like to know, what is the purpose of this message?
=> Does the request initiator react in some way in this situation?

Best regards,
Philipp