Hey Michael,
   That's awesome to hear! Great job and thanks for putting yourself out
there to do these things.

Cheers,
Dan

On May 15, 2017 10:15 AM, "Michael Grube" <michael.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Dev List,

I've been quietly running a very small PR campaign and would like to make
some data visible to people. I think the results are encouraging.

Since January I've done 3 things to promote Freenet: Gave a brief
introduction to Freenet primitives and a very very basic runthrough of
pyFreenet.

The class was well attended and truly I did not have to work very hard to
fill it.

The second thing I did was give a talk at a regional convention called
Penguicon. I gave essentially the same talk with a demo(that worked!
quickly!) showing what Freenet is, how it works, etc.

The convention gave about 20 talks an hour and my Freenet talk was in the
top 20 most popular for the entire event - at one point it was in the top
15. I attribute this not to something I did, but to the level of interest
people have in decentralized anonymous communication and publication.

The audience for this is laypeople but my slides are here, if anybody cares:
http://presentations.penguicon.org/?download=Penguicon+2017%2FNo+Gods%2C+
No+Servers.pdf

Finally, I've created a night at my local hackerspace for the specific aim
of setting up darknets and getting people on FMS. I did not anticipate this
being a big event, but I have 20 RSVPs so far and I know there are some
people who are coming but do not wish to publicly acknowledge it. I did not
even promote this event.

So why am I sharing all of this? Honestly I'm surprised and encouraged at
the level of interest that has remained in Freenet. There is a lot left to
fight for and we should not allow high-profile imitations discourage us.

That's all for now,
Thanks.
  • PR Stuff Michael Grube
    • Re: PR Stuff Dan Roberts