On 10/01/18 21:51, Florent Daigniere wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-01-10 at 21:36 +0000, Matthew Toseland wrote:
>>>>

>>> What's happening is that Arne is refusing to move forward... and
>>> keeps
>>> releasing off the old release tools and Ant.
>>>
>>> The rest of the team has been working on next (I've done most of the
>>> current gradle support, including deterministic builds, ... steve
>>> has
>>> been working on the release tools, ...)
>> So you are checking the hashes of the downloaded components?
>>
>> I thought Gradle was just an evolution of Maven, with all the problems
>> that implies: Recursively pulling random JAR files, with very little
>> authentication, pay-for-only signature checking, and a guarantee that
>> everyone who uploaded those JARs hasn't paid for that feature. In
>> other
>> words, malware galore.
>>
>> If that's the world that Gradle takes Freenet into, then I can
>> entirely
>> understand why Arne would have a problem with it.
> We do check the hashes of downloaded components... and produce
> reproducible jars by default.
> https://github.com/freenet/fred/blob/next/build.gradle#L227
>
> Security is clearly not the concern here.

Annoying that it can't easily work over Freenet... but not a serious
concern, any HTTP(S) fetches can easily go via Tor etc.

What about the deployment side of the question?

I recall somebody arguing for getting rid of the installer and using
some third party packaging system instead? What is the status of that?