Hi,

I first asked on the Discord, but I have been redirected to this mailing list.

Would it be acceptable to list MacPorts next to other
(Linux/FreeBSD/...) distributions as an unofficial source for getting
KiCad?

I wouldn't really mind requesting that since the official dmg is
pretty good, but that one only supports macOS 10.15 and newer (that's
what the website says; trying to install the binary on an older macOS
version complains that it wants 10.14, so maybe it conditionally works
on 10.14 as well), while the packages inside MacPorts have
successfully been built for 10.12*** and newer, and include native
support for arm64, for example.

I would do it in a similar way as
https://www.kicad.org/download/freebsd/ that says:

    FreeBSD is not officially supported by the KiCad project. This
link is provided as a reference to FreeBSD users but the KiCad project
cannot guarantee that users will not encounter distribution-specific
issues. ...
    You can install it via command line: ...

The reason why I'm requesting this is because a user that's stuck on
an older OS due to Apple's policy of dropping support for not-so-old
hardware (which can no longer receive updates) might not be aware that
using the latest version of KiCad should still be possible. I have an
older laptop and I thought I had to switch the laptop to be able to
use a newer version (in fact I moved all my ancient kicad files to a
Windows laptop a while ago just because I thought that I could not get
the latest KiCad working on that mac at all).

(I already wanted to make a merge request, but the font that's being
used for logotypes doesn't contain the MacPorts logo.)

Mojca

*** I suspect that we should be able to get it working even on macOS
10.11 where the build breaks at nlohmann-json (while nlohmann-json
itself builds fine even on 10.5). Older than that might not be easily
doable so easily due to wxWidgets.