On Jun 12, 2008, at 2:26 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:

>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> While working on the new GWT-based WYSIWYG editor, I find out that
>>> the
>>> default DialogBox from GWT moves very slow when dragged if it
>>> contains
>>> many HTML elements (like a table with 10 rows and 20 columns). In
>>> the
>>> current WYSIWYG editor dialog boxes are used for color picker,
>>> custom
>>> character, insert image / attachment / macro / table. Before I start
>>> porting these dialogs to GWT I'd like to ask you:
>>>
>>> Do you agree with using dialog boxes for these features?
>>>  * if so, do you think it's ok to optimize the way they are moved by
>>> showing only their border while dragging (win95-like)?
>>
>> If you do so, what are you showing instead of the dialog content ?
>> the
>> content behind ? or a plain color ?
>> I think the main use case (if not the only ?) for moving such
>> dialogs is
>> to see what's behind. In that case showing only the border and let
>> the
>> user see what's behind is good IMO.
>
> Yes, I'd like to show only a dashed (maybe) border and, possibly, a
> background-color with some opacity level. This way I move only a div
> with
> its border, background-color and opacity and hide or leave in the same
> place the dialog box, while dragging.

hmm... so it means we're doing pretty low level stuff and that GWT is
not offering much tools. I'm a bit worried that we're developing more
than we should. This will mean lots of maintenance too.

Isn't there any existing solutions for this?

Thanks
-Vincent

PS: Please bear with me as I've never developed with GWT so I  don't
know what's available or not.