On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM, Sergiu Dumitriu <ser...@xwiki.com> wrote:

> [...]
> to respect the case when logging in"), but that doesn't mean that we
> should enable comments on the registration page. This an an _action_.
> People go to the registration page to _do_ something (create a new
> account), they don't go there to _read_ the registration form in case
> there's something interesting there.
>
> There are many examples of actions where we don't have comments and
> attachments and the other tabs, and nobody ever asked for them (renaming
> a document, logging in, editing the page rights, the administration
> pages, to name just a few). Speaking of administration pages, they are
> all stored as documents in the wiki. But we don't display their comments
> and attachments in the administration interface. It is possible to
> manage their attachments, though, so it's not like they're completely
> disabled for those pages. And I'm not proposing to disable them. They
> are valid and have their purpose, but they shouldn't be displayed to
> users that just want to _do_ stuff, using the action document as it is
> supposed to be used, as a way to perform actions. They would be
> cluttering the UI needlessly, and clutter isn't good. A good UI should
> be clear and simple. Removing as much distractions as possible is good
> way towards simplicity, and thus usability.
>
> Code should be optimized so that the performance is better for the the
> most used branches. Similarly, the UI should be optimized for the most
> common use cases. How many users really have to add comments on an
> action document? How often do administrator really leave important
> messages to other administrators on wiki documents? Very rarely. Does it
> make sense for this odd use case to keep the UI cluttered? I doubt that
> users will be baffled more by the fact that comments are missing on some
> actions than by the fact that you can actually have comments on actions.
> While you and I know that "everything is a document" in XWiki, normal
> users just view actions as actions. Registering is an action, logging in
> is an action, searching for documents is an action, browsing documents
> by tags is an action. The fact that logging in is done through several
> VM templates, Struts actions and internal XWiki components, while
> browsing tags is done through a wiki document, has no significance to
> the simple user.
>
> For some actions/documents it is clear when the main purpose is for
> users to _do_ something or to _read_ something. Sure, there's some
> reading involved in every action, and there's some doing involved in
> every content read. For some actions it would be debatable in which
> category they fit better. It would be hard to come up with a clear and
> precise rule. I can't come up with one. Can you?
>
> That's why I'm proposing to just accept that there are documents
> intended to be used mostly as action pages, and in that case it is OK to
> hide the bottom tabs. That's all I'm asking. Do you agree or not with

So I agree with the rule that "action" pages don't need comments.

Also as an addition to the rule we can also make a difference between
"static & dynamic" pages and "action" pages fall into the static category,
because their content is usually the same and the normal users will not
change it.

Thanks,
Caty