Hi Marius,

On May 20, 2013, at 5:19 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea
<mariusdumitru.flo...@xwiki.com> wrote:

> I'm going to perform the following rename.
>
> XWiki.SolrSearchAdmin -> Solr.Administration
> Main.SolrSearch -> Solr.WebHome
>
> and I'm going to add Solr.Translations .
>
> Let me know if you think this is a bad move,

I don't think it's especially bad but we need to have an overall consistent
solution for all search implementations.

We have 3 impls:
* database: Main.DatabaseSearch
* lucene: Main.LuceneSearch, XWiki.LuceneSearchAdmin, XWiki.SuggestLuceneService
* solr: Main.SolrSearch, XWiki.SolrSearchAdmin

We have several choices I think:

1) Move all pages in the XWiki space

2) Move each search impl in a space named after the impl:

Possibility A:
** DatabaseSearch
** SolrSearch
** LuceneSearch
Possibility B:
** XWiki.DatabaseSearch
** Solr.Search
** Lucene.Search

3) Move all search impls into a Search space:
* Search.Solr*
* Search.Database*
* Search.Lucene*
* Search.Search (current Main.Search page)

My preferences goes to either 2B) or 3) with a small preference for 3).

The advantage of 3) is that we can we can have everything related to search in
the Search space which makes them easy to find. Option 2) will mean scattered
search pages in 4 spaces: one for the search app, and 2 or 3 others for the
implementations. Ideally we would have sub spaces of Search but in the meantime
IMO it's fine to have 3).

Another way of viewing this is that there's only 1 search app (with multiple
SPI implementations) and thus it's logical that this app puts its pages into a
single space (called Search).

Thanks
-Vincent