On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau <
gdelhum...@xwiki.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> In XWiki 6.2, we have introduced the Icon Theme Application [1]. The idea
> was to be able to use Font Awesome in the Applications Panel without
> breaking all extensions. So we have a mapping between silk icons (that the
> extensions used until now) and the font awesome equivalents [2].
>
> But, of course, the mapping is currently incomplete. For 2 reasons:
> 1/ It takes time to make it perfect (so feel free to improve it, directly
> on the wiki page! [2])
> 2/ Some silk icons have no equivalent.
>
> Where a silk equivalent is missing, the Icon Theme Application
> automatically failbacks to the Silk icon, so something appears. Of course,
> it does not look very good when all icons are monochromatic except only one
> [3].
>
> When there is no equivalent, we could have a strategy to not failback on
> Silk but instead using the most similar icon in Font Awesome. For example
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/resources/icons/silk/flag_blue.png and
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/resources/icons/silk/flag_green.png can both be
> mapped to http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icon/flag/ . But it
> would be problem if an extension use both icons to represent 2 different
> actions. In my opinion, we should not do this and let the failback-process
> happens.

An improvement to this would be to provide also a color in the mapping.
Being a font icon set, from CSS is very easy to give a blue or a green
color to the icon (if as you said the developer needed the color
difference).

> But actually, having this mapping should be only used for backward
> compatibility. What I want to propose is about the future. We should not
> use the silk icons anymore with the hope that it will be correctly mapped
> in other icon themes.
>
> What I want to create, is our own list of icons. The XWiki icon set. But I
> am not talking about drawing new icons. I am talking about create an
> official mapping for the icons we support and that have a mapping in all
> existing icon themes.
>
> For example, I have create the "wiki" icon, which is mapped to
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/resources/icons/silk/world.png in silk and on
> http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icon/globe/ in font-awesome.
>
> I believe we need to create that list and create a documentation about it
> somewhere (maybe in a page integrated in XE, but at least on the extension
> page). So when a user create an application, she no longer chose an icon
> from the Silk collection but from our own list.

IMO we really need this list because without it I don't think we can create
an easy UI that can change the icon for the IconThemes.

Just like we have specific variables in ColorThemes, the same we will have
a finit list of standard icons that we use across the wiki (and as you said
that we support).

Related to this topic I started a very very long time a go a study of icons
used inside XWiki, you can see some informations here
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Standards/Icons

According to the study and regarding the convention we will need something
like:
A. 'entity'
B. 'action'
C. 'entity-action'
D. 'entity-subtype'
... ?

Example:
A. 'wiki', 'space, 'page', 'attachment', 'comment', etc.
B. 'add/create', 'delete/remove', 'edit', 'copy', etc.
C. 'comment-add', 'page-add', 'user-delete', etc.
D. 'arrow-down', 'user-disabled', 'page-zip', etc.

Maybe we should add also a prefix, like 'icon' or 'theme-icon' if we think
in the future we might have something like 'theme-{icon|color|etc.}'
although might be longer.

Thanks,
Caty