+1 for hiding just the comments.

Users should be encouraged to edit the pages instead of leaving comments.

So I would suggest to hide the comments tab (because we need the other
ones, like attachments) right away and then, as time allows, progressively
go through the existing comments, removing them and including/integrating
relevant documentation as much as possible in their associated document.

Even if I would prefer to integrate as much as possible, I am personally ok
even with dropping the comments entirely if we can't do the integration.

Thanks,
Eduard