I’ve also put my plan at
https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XRENDERING-471?focusedCommentId=97792&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-97792

I’m pasting here for convenience:

So here's my plan FTM:
* Add FigureBlock, FigureCaptionBlock and associated Listener events
* Create a new contrib project for a new {{figure}} macro that would output the
new FigureBlock/FigureCaptionBlock
* Modify the HTML5 renderer to support those blocks and generate <figure> and
<figcaption> elements
* Make it work also in the LaTeX renderer

Thanks
-Vincent