Hi Thomas and all,

> On 27 Apr 2018, at 15:46, Thomas Mortagne <thomas.morta...@xwiki.com> wrote:
>
> Hi xwikiers,
>
> In 10.3 I introduced a "home" type with Main.WebHome in mind with the
> following defaults:
> * edit allow
> * delete forbidden
> * no upgrade if modified
>
> I tough that deleting the wiki home page was not so great.
>
> Eduard argue that since the wiki home page is configurable there is no
> reason to restrict delete right.
>
> WDYT ?
>
> I feel that most people don't change the configured home page so I'm
> +1 to keep it like this but I'm not strongly against allowing delete
> if others think it's fine since I don't have much experience with
> configured home page use case.

I was also a bit surprised to see a special “home” page type.

If the only difference between “demo” and “home” is the ability or not to
delete it, then indeed I’m not sure we need the “home” type.

For me the only pages that would need to be prevented from being deleted are
pages that, if deleted, will make the wiki bug (ie the wiki cannot work without
them), and, AFAIK we should never have pages that do this (when those pages
don’t exist, they should be automatically recreated when needed).

Since we support the feature of being able to configure/change the default wiki
home page, we should allow deleting Main.WebHome as a user will be able to
change his wiki home page.

Now if we want to incitate users to not delete “home” pages, we could protect
them by default (i.e. have some right on them so that only admins can delete
them by default). I think that would be enough for me.

All that said, and as Caty mentioned, when we delete a page, the children can
be selected too, and a rename will perform a delete. And we might want to
prevent this from happening for Main.WebHome. Most users won’t like the name
“Main” and will want to try renaming it or deleting it so that they can have
their own namespace. IMO the best answer to that is:
* Finishing removing default pages located in the Main space and move them
elsewhere so that users can rename or delete the Main space without it being a
problem at all
* Allow configuring the page not found template when on Main.WebHome so that if
the page is deleted, the admin/user can see a message with a link, explaining
how to change the wiki home page.

WDYT?

Thanks
-Vincent