Thanks Caty.

See below

> On 21 Sep 2018, at 15:56, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <vali...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> I've heard that the upgrade process is a complicated process and relies on
> a lot of manual operations. I haven't investigated the technical solutions
> we have at our disposal, but I tried to image the desired UI an
> Administrator would want when upgrading:
>
> * be notified that a new version is available:
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/WebHome/notifications.png
>
> * have an upgrade section in Administration where Distribution and
> Extensions can be checked for new versions and upgraded / backed:
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/WebHome/state1.png
>
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/WebHome/state2.png
>
> A more detailed proposal at
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/
>
> So, what are your thoughts on this?

Some thoughts:

1) Automatic distribution upgrade would be very nice but it’s hard to do for
all packagings. We already do it for the debian one (apt-get upgrade) and we
could do it better for some others (docker, standalone). However for the manual
WAR install it’s harder and I don’t even know if it’s possible (at least for
all supported servlet containers). One idea would be to implement it for Tomcat
only for example and have a way to control the tomcat manager (manager app) to
perform the upgrade of the webapp.

1a) Would be nice to have a a distribution upgrade UI too for merging the
various configuration files (could be a separate webapp for ex - haven’t really
thought about this).
1b) For the docker upgrade we can look at the discourse upgrade process, to see
if there are some good ideas to reuse

2) We have comments about the DW being hard to understand/complex. You haven’t
addressed this. Is it because you didn’t find anything to improve?

3) We regularly see users having problems to upgrade (cf forum, irc, mailing
lists) and we’d need to list the common issues they have. Their problems may
not be related to the UI but to bugs/limitations we currently have.

4) A typical known issue is when the user skips/clicks “never” on the DW. He
cannot get it to appear afterwards. We will need to fix this usability issue
for ex.

Thanks
-Vincent