2010/8/26 Lars Helge Øverland <larshe...@gmail.com>:

> 2010/8/26 Lars Helge Øverland <larshe...@gmail.com>
>>
>> OK I think we can remove the uniqueness constraint on orgunit names.
>
> Supposed to be "shortnames".

Good. But what about the orgunit names, do they have to be unique for
technical reasons? If so, we should have an algorithm that adds on the
parent name (and grandparent, if required) in parentheses at the end,
instead of just rejecting the import file outright.

>> This is related to the discussion on meta-data object identifiers. If we
>> create a "dedicated" identifier property on meta-data objects and separate
>> it from the name we can remove uniqueness constraints on all attributes from
>> a system perspective. In the case of orgunits it makes sense because the
>> context can be retrieved from the hierarchy (parent). I am not sure if
>> removing uniqueness constraints on data elements, indicators, datasets etc
>> is sensible, wouldn't it eg. be confusing to select from a list where
>> multiple options has the same name?

I think it is fine to require uniqueness for these other entities -
diseases etc should probably have unique names.

Knut

>> Lars
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Jason Pickering
>> <jason.p.picker...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Not sure why they should be unique. There are lots of places with the
>>> same name (McDonalds, BP, etc) within a given administrative district.
>>> They have other unique properties of course such as ownership,
>>> address, telephone number, lat/long, etc, but this seems to be another
>>> one of those strange restrictions in the data model/business logic
>>> that keep hitting us in the face.
>>>
>>> I would argue these restrictions should be a data integrity rule, but
>>> should not be hard-coded into the system itself. If people want to
>>> have duplicate orgunits names, as you do Knut, there may be valid
>>> reasons for this. It seems like potentially bad practice within a
>>> given orgunit level, but this could only be a myopic view of things
>>> (see my McDonalds example above) Certainly mangling the names with
>>> arbitrary (supposedly) random numbers is no better.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Jason

>>> --
>>> Jason P. Pickering